Meet Alex, most know her as Tiny Isabella! I have been anticipating our April Artist the Month! I’m excited about this interview and decided to release this post early. See what she has to say in the interview…
1. What is your name and title?
My name is Alex, but most known as “Tiny Isabella” on the Internet. I’m an online boutique owner and founder of Tiny’s Closet. I’m also currently working on styling models for their upcoming shoots with Tiny’s Closet.
2. Tell us a little about yourself and what sparked your interest in fashion?
Well. I’m 19 years old…. I’ve been into fashion pretty much my whole life. I always allowed fashion to express me, and who I am. You can tell a lot by what someone has on, what went through their mind when they were putting their outfit together. What kind of day they’re having…. Fashion speaks, and not everyone can understand what it’s saying.
3. Would you consider this fashion to be your passion? If so, when did you realize this is what you love to do?
Oh yeah! Of course. Like I mentioned earlier, fashion speaks. I realized back in middle school, even with uniform…. (We could wear any polo, as long as it was a polo shirt and any school pants) I always made sure I will style it up. Look different from everyone else, so it didn’t look just like “uniform”. I always loved being different and sticking out. That’s what gave me confidence in myself, fashion.
4. Describe your style, where do you get your inspirations?
I don’t really have a “style”…. I mean. I wear whatever I think looks good on me. Whether it looks like something I’d wear or not… I’ll find something to go with it and make it work. Also it depends on my day, how I’m feeling…. If I’m feeling like a bum, I’ll throw on the most comfortable pants ever with a hoodie and accessorize. As long as you accessorize… Your outfit won’t be plain no matter how “plain” you really feel that day.
5. What is one item in your closet that you can’t live with out or feel every girl needs?
This is tough.. I feel like I need almost everything in my closet. Lol. But as far as an item that every girl needs…. There will always be those one pants or dress that make your body look on point. I mean curves and all… Every girl needs one. They bring so much confidence in someone, and that’s what it’s all about. Confidence. If you don’t have the confidence. Neither will your outfit.
6. Where do you shop?
Everywhere that has a sale lol. I never been that girl to spend so much money on one item because its “designer”.. And it’s what’s in… I try to stay away from the hype. So I will spend my shopping money on sales. The more the better. Trust, I can make my $40 outfit look better than $500.. And you won’t ever know how much I really spent on my outfit. It’s all about thinking, accessorizing and being yourself.
7. What inspired/motivated you to create an online store?
Well…. I originally was going to school to be a fashion designer. I still have my sketches that eventually will come out to life. But because I have a follower count on the Internet, I was always asked “where do you shop? Where did you get this, and that?” And everyone knows how annoying it can get. So.. I made an online shop specifically of what “Tiny” would wear. So instead of asking me “where do I shop?” You can just hit my online store, and dress like me.
8. What are some of the challenges and successes you have overcome in the process of establishing your business?
There’s been a lot of challenges. I mean, it’s only ME running it. Answering emails, packing and shipping packages, working with the best manufacturers and getting the best… It becomes overwhelming sometimes.. Because like I mentioned, it’s me running it and I’m one person. As far as successes. 300+ orders since I opened October 12, 2012. I’m very fortunate and blessed of the growth.
9. What advice do you have for those who are interested in starting their own store or business in general? First off, it isn’t easy. I love it because I love fashion, and working in retail in my past taught me a lot about marking and the business. Don’t get into something because of the hype, or because it’s a quick way to get money… It isn’t. It’s a lot tougher than you think. But if you’re seriously ready…. Just remember, the first 5 years of business are the hardest, and it will be stressful… But it does get easier if you learn how to market and promote yourself.
10. What advice or style tips do you have for fashionistas out there? Be yourself. Lol. It’s cliche, I know. But be yourself. I’ve always been that girl who will not purchase things in style… Because everyone else is wearing it. I like to be different. Different is me. Who cares about what people have to say, they’re going to judge you regardless. As long as you’re happy in what you’re wearing, no one can take that away from you.
11. What are a few of your long-term and short-term goals you have set for your future?
Let me start with short term…. Definitely open Tiny’s Closet somewhere in Miami for my 21st birthday (which is next year in 2014)…. That should and will be exciting. Uhh… Long term.. By the time I’m 25… I want to be a millionaire. I want to be financially stabled so I can hopefully start a family and have already been married. I’m excited for the future lol.
12. Where can we keep up with you and visit you’re online boutique?
You can definitely follow me on Instagram which is @TinyIsabella. I’m always posting photos of upcoming clothes, jewelry and upcoming events that I will be attending or participating at. My boutique is www.tinyscloset.net
13. Is there anything else that you would like us to know about you?
Mhm….. Like I mentioned before I’m only 19… I’m still a baby in the “industry”… But I feel different, because I am so young and so independent… So ambitious that many people don’t even recognize my age. That just see a very hard working woman.
Miss Alex is a wonderful inspirational young lady. It’s great to see that people in our generation are successful and striving to do great things. She is a role model for young girls and women who may want to have a business of their own someday. Even others who just want to follow their dreams. I wish her the best of luck to her future and what she has prepared for us next!